Self hypnosis is one of the best ways I know to help you get into a better state of mind fast. My high school PE teacher taught me this quick and easy to learn self hypnosis technique when I was in 9th grade. It has been a huge stress saver at several times in my life.
When you live a high stress life, finding healthy ways to pull your self together and decompress can make a lot of difference on the quality of life you live.
I really feel that we are all able to be hypnotized and that all hypnosis is really self hypnosis.
That is right, you can hypnotize your self. You do all the time and don't really know it.
It is like when you have been watching a TV show, then you realize you have been paying attention to the story for an hour or so.
Have you ever been driving down the highway and realize you have really "seen" any thing for a hundred miles? This is a form of self hypnosis.
Hypnosis is very natural, not some woo-woo attempt to make you bark like a dog or obey hidden commands.
It is a great way to help you get your conscious desires lined up with your unconscious mind. Your unconscious mind can then offer suggestions that you can naturally follow.
Stress can really be detrimental to our health. So knowing how to use different techniques like this can be a restoration point for your body.
A short 30 minute hypnosis session can rejuvenate you as much as a four hour nap.
You can apply hypnosis stress techniques to your life too.
A lot of us have high stress jobs. Learning to use our own mind to help us feel better is a part of self mastery.
Here's some ideas to get started,
- Affirm to your self that you are in a safe place and have time to relax.
- Allow yourself to relax. Tell yourself that you have some time set aside for this, you are safe and all is well. Some people like to lie down which is fine. You can do just fine sitting back in a chair or recliner too.
- Create the intention of using this time to create relaxation in your physical, mental and
- Start breathing deeply, expanding your abdomen on the inhale instead of raising your shoulders. Imagine that you are breathing in 'calmness' and breathing out all the stress from your day. Feel the oxygen spread from your chest through your arms and legs and to your fingers and toes.
- Remember an environment that was relaxing to you, and imagine going further and further into it. Imagine that you are walking down a long corridor, or deep into the woods, for example, leaving your current surroundings far behind. You may not feel that you are hypnotized. That is normal. If you keep focusing on this visualization, you will get there. Hypnosis is such a natural state, we really don't have to try to get there.
- We will go there given a chance. Keep going back to a happy quite place. I suggest a beautiful meadow filled with wild flowers. The flowers are very fragrant. The sun is shinning warmly on your body. It is coming from a place that is pure. As you are walking through the field of flowers, begin to think how nice it would be to just lie down and take a little break. The sun feels to nice and warm.
- You feel safe and peaceful. You just lie down in the meadow. The sun is streaming the most peaceful energy through your head. Just allow your self to get deeper and deeper relaxed into the light. Tighten up the muscles in the face for a few seconds and then relax all the muscles in the face at once.
- Totally, completely relax. Let the tread muscles behind the eyes spread apart. Let your self drift and dream on the wind with the beautiful flowers. Remember this, any way you do hypnosis is the right way. Now pretend the light is steaming on down your head and into your neck. Clinch up the neck and hold the head muscles tight for about 30 seconds and then let it all go.
- Sink down deeper into the soft grass beneath you. Drifting on the wind, dreaming with the flowers. The light brings healing and complete relaxation into the neck, shoulders and head. Let the light go on down the shoulders to the chest and stomach. Now hold the muscles tight, hold your breath, the head, the neck the stomach all at the same time. For about 45 seconds. Now whoosh, relax all at once. Let the healing light rejuvenate and bring deep peace and relaxation to your body. Practice will get you better at it. Now move the light into the legs, knees and ankles. Now hold your self really tight, clinch up your whole body. Then let it all go Limp, just like a wet noodle. Sink into the ground beneath you. You may feel sleepy, or a little weird.
- You may just feel like you are making it up. That is just fine. It's more like the state you get into while daydreaming or deep in concentration than what you may be expecting.
- When you are completely relaxed and feeling far from your regular life, begin repeating the positive phrase you chose for this session. For instance say or think to your self " all is well, every where that I am God is here also and all is well". Keep saying this over and over. You can adapt your words to fit your situation or belief systems. Like "I am safe, whole and healthy". "I am always at the right place in the right time for my souls highest purpose".
- Fear is natural, our physical body has it's own primordial intuition and primitive understandings. We really have to talk to "it" sort of like a small child some times.
- This is one way to help the physical body relax in a awkward situation. Like combat, day to day work stress, child birth or what ever. You may choose to visualize the words, focus on their sound in your head, or visualize the end result.
- At the end of your hypnosis session, tell yourself that it is time to come back into the physical world. Suggest to yourself that when you are back you will feel refreshed. Just like you had a two hour nap.
- Some people find that soft, mundane background music or sounds help. Others find it distracting. Experiment, and see what works best for you. If you can use music it is fine, but not necessary at all.
- If you don't feel any huge changes the first couple of times, keep at it. Self-hypnosis works in subtle ways. You may be surprised.
You can't hurt your self with self hypnosis. So don't worry about that at all.
Hypnosis is a tool to use to help make your experience here on earth a little more joyful, productive and fun.
(c) Oct 2012
Bright Blessings to all our soldiers everywhere! May the Holy Spirit wrap you up in light and love.
(c) July 2012